Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The "One"



This picture...taken when I was 3 (not sure why I am wearing ballet clothes on Christmas Eve), is a rare one. It is rare for 2 reasons. It is rare because it has my mom in it, and it is rare because it was one of the few I found where I wasn't already overweight. My mom has never been a fan of having her picture taken - which I think most of us can relate to in some way. But while I was searching for a picture to go with this post, I was surprised to find that I have almost always been heavy.
My mom and I have always struggled. I am not entirely sure why - and since this hurt isn't only mine, I am not really free to talk about it. Those of you who know me well, know that the email below blew me away. I sat at my desk and cried as I read it. It's funny - because the song she quotes - was always special to me I just never really knew why... until now.



I was thinking about you and all you have accomplished...not just with your weight loss but everything and I wanted to remind you of the song that Dad and I always turned up and sang along with that always reminded us of you...

One singular sensation, every little step she takes.

One thrilling combination every move that she makes.

One smile and suddenly no body else will do.

You know you'll never be lonely with you-know-who!

One moment in her presence and you will forget the rest,

For the girl is second best to none, son!

Do I really have to mention, she's the One!


We love you very much even though we don't always see eye-to-eye. You are the "One" to us. Love you.

Mom

3 comments:

  1. wow... what a sweet note from your mom. No matter what type of relationship you have with your parent, that would make me cry. on. the . spot. Beautiful and treasured, I am sure. :)
    Thanks so much for paying a visit to my blog. You left such sweet words. I will be back to check in on you, too! :) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! I remember having struggles with my dad about how I was raising my kids... I told him that I didn't agree with some of his choices as a father, and I wanted to break that cycle with my children... it hurt him, but he said to me, "Do you love your kids?" (Well DUH!) I said, "Yes, Dad... I love my kids, they are the only thing I'd go to jail for, and the only thing I would kill for...." He said, "That's how I love you..." It took the wind out of my sails, but made me realize that even in my parent's wacky way, I am loved very much.

    Happy weekend to you,

    Mikal

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful email to receive from your Mom! I always joked that I went from a size 6x directly to a 14 ~ so I know where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete