Thursday, January 7, 2010

#2



#2. Hire a trainer. Even if it is for just a few sessions. I know it's expensive, but it is important to learn how to do the weights and exercises correctly. If you get a good trainer, they should also sit with you and help you set goals and work with you on a basic meal plan. Most gyms have package deals you can buy (especially in the new year) and I would recommend taking advantage of their knowledge. Who knows - you may find you stick with your trainer through your entire journey.
So far, I have been lucky enough to have my trainer Dan with me for the larger part of my journey. My experience with a trainer is the reason it is so high on my list of recommendations. Having a trainer gave me the accountability I needed to remain focused. It gave me a person who was invested in my progress, which in turn made me not want to blow it. Dan quickly became one of my cheerleaders that I talked about in an earlier post. He ALWAYS believed I could do things, I never dreamed I was capable of.
If you are able to hire a trainer - I would do it sooner rather than later. If you are in my neck of the woods, I would hire Dan. If hiring a trainer is totally out of the the question - that's okay. Plenty of people have succeeded without a trainer, but in my opinion there is always room for one more in your personal cheer squad!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could hire a trainer.
    I have been working with one for my getting started which is free at my gym. Next week I learn weights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a perfect way to start!!! Having someone teach you how to do the exercises right is so beneficial. Watch for specials at the gym you belong to and take advantage of any free lessons you can. Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete