Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Good Man.



Where do I even start. This post has taken longer to compose than any other. It is so hard to articulate. Hopefully I will do okay.

My husband Chad and I met at church when we were 15 years old. We have been together ever since. In 2011 we will celebrate 20 years together. More than half of our lives. This year (2009) has been hard for us. My weight loss journey has taken its toll on us. Even though we have definitely had our moments, I know with all of my heart - that Chad is my man. Here is how I know...
I remember asking him years ago when he first fell in love with me. His answer?? Not one us romantics would swoon over... he told me that he didn't fall in love with me, he loves me more each day, but in the beginning he decided to love me.
Now in all fairness, I was pissed. But as the years go on, I understand why in reality, that is actually the most romantic thing a he could have said. You see, he decided to love me - which means he loved me when I was mean, when I was cranky. He loved me when no matter what we did I could not give him a baby. He loved me when the impossible happened and I was pregnant with our son, but psychotic from hormones. He loved me through years of horrible migraines, and years of financial success and failures. Most importantly he loved me even at my largest. Not only did he love me, he still thought that I was beautiful.
This year, he has loved me through a lot of crap. He has given me time to be gone every night at the gym. He has listened to me cry, and criticize and hate myself. He has said and truly meant, that all he wants is for me to be happy. All of this, because years ago, he decided to love me.

That my friends, is a good man.

4 comments:

  1. Unconditional love is an incredible gift. He also sounds very (almost painfully:-) honest! Yes, he is a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a good man, who loves a very strong and beautiful woman. :-)

    ReplyDelete